Advice for UNSW staff on the coronavirus

31 Jan 2020
person sneezing into flexed elbow

UNSW provides the following information for staff in relation to the coronavirus.

What should I do if I am feeling unwell?

If you are feeling unwell, please contact your GP, a health professional or your nearest hospital emergency department. We suggest you call ahead, explaining your symptoms and travel history, rather than attending in person. NSW Health also has a free helpline. Please call Health Direct on 1800 022 222.

Who can I contact if I have an urgent or immediate query?

The University has set up a 24-hour helpline for any urgent inquiries. Please call 9385 8500 (press 1 for coronavirus) if you have an immediate or urgent concern relating to the coronavirus.

UNSW will continue to update students and staff as new information becomes available.

Who can I contact for support?

If staff require support, they should talk to their manager. UNSW also provides support services for staff members through its free and confidential counselling service, Benestar, the Employee Assistance Program (EAP).

What do I do if my child is unable to attend school?

We are aware that some staff may need to take care of children who are unable to attend school due to NSW Government advice. You may be eligible for carer’s leave. Please contact your manager for further details.

Can I work remotely?

All UNSW activities are operating as normal. As usual, in accordance with UNSW’s flexible work guidelines, you should discuss appropriate arrangements with your manager.

What should I do if a student comes to me with questions or concerns about their studies?

If you are contacted by a student, please refer them to the Nucleus for advice on how we can best support them to continue with their studies.

Students can also access support via International Student advisors.

I am due to travel soon to China. Should I still go?

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade’s (DFAT) overall advice level for travel to China is ‘reconsider your need to travel’. Travel advice for Hubei province remains as ’do not travel’. You can find the latest travel advice at

Where is UNSW getting advice about how to respond to the coronavirus?

UNSW is following advice from the Federal Department of Health and NSW Health, which are both updating information regularly via the following websites:

Read the full UNSW FAQs on the coronavirus here. This page is being regularly updated as more information becomes available.